Thursday, November 27, 2008

yes, we have fall in california

I shot a beautiful family a few weeks ago in the East Bay. Although I'm often asked to do family photos, I've always shied away from them. Well, this mother was so sweet and convincing that I thought I'd give it it a try. Honestly, the fact that she had a new baby was a major draw! What photographer could resist shooting a newborn? We started in the park and it felt a bit awkward. I didn't want the shots to seem posed. It was also super-bright day and there weren't too many spots where I felt the lighting was good. So, we headed back to their house and I noticed how bright and cheery the kitchen was, so that's where we did most of the family shooting. It just seemed right. After that, Dad had to go to work so mom and I went to the garden in the back with the baby and her "big" brother (all of two years). We literally gasped when we saw the carpet of gorgeous fall leaves covering the ground. I mean, these leaves couldn't have been more perfect. As they were so smooth and clean, I asked mom how she would feel about putting her baby down on top of the leaves. She didn't hesitate and laughed, saying she never would have done such a thing when her first child was a baby. The baby tolerated the leaves, but I only took a few shots as I didn't want her to be uncomfortable. By the time the session was ending, we were already planning out next shoot - her son helping her cook, riding his red trike, playing in the garden...






No comments:

Post a Comment