Friday, January 2, 2009

new year, new space, new gear


Well, it might seem counter-intuitive in these hard economic times, but I've rented a little loft studio for my photography. I used to have a space that was very industrial, but I let it go. I liked the great natural light there, but besides getting flooded twice, there weren't many spots around the studio to do the outdoor shots that I enjoy. Like many photographers who work with kids, I've been meeting parents in parks and the like for my shoots, and borrowing indoor spaces as needed. It's exciting to shoot in different locations, but it was burning me out a bit. Always making sure the location had good parking, a clean bathroom, and relying on decent weather was a little tiresome.

So, from time-to-time, I would take a peek on Craigslist to see what's up for rent and found a space that I think will work for what I'm doing right now. It's vastly different from my old space. First of all, it's in a mixed-use neighborhood in Potrero Hill. The neighborhood is a real treasure. There are houses around, but also a playground, two schools, and a Whole Foods nearby. The coffee shop on the corner is a big plus, as is the business district two blocks away with restaurants, a little corner grocery, and a bookstore. Lots of great city views in this hilly area. The loft is small, but has two huge floor-to-ceiling windows and is very bright. The unit has a private bath and kitchen, too, and the building has a nice little garden.

I've lost quite a bit of sleep over renting this, though, wondering if I was doing the right thing. Will the space work-out? Will I get enough work to pay for it? Is this the right time to be increasing my expenses? Finally, my son said to me "Mom, you have to just commit to it fully and make it work." I thought that was great advice!

I guess Santa agreed, because he brought me a new camera for Christmas, the one I've been pining for...

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new venture!
    I have a client for you who lives in San Jose.
    All the best!
    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gigi, that's great! When are you coming back to the Bay Area?

    ReplyDelete