Tuesday, March 8, 2011

conventional wisdom

It said that professional photos are not required to get an agent, maybe not even recommended. There are many reasons for this.  The primary reason is that agents have particular photographers with whom they like to work, and also specific requirements regarding wardrobe, hair etc.  Getting professional photos before getting an agent might mean that new photos will be needed, and thus more expense.  That said, I get tons of calls from parents who feel that professional photos will give them an edge when seeking representation for their children.  I used to tell them no outright, not wanting to exploit their eagerness to get an agent.  However, I've started offering mini sessions for those parents who are willing to take the risk. Their feeling is that even if they don't get an agent, they still have some great pictures of their children, and it gives their kids experience in front of the camera.  Anyway, these three cuties, who take acting classes with Giovanni Espiritu, are a recent example.  And let me tell you, these kids were great to work with.  Very well-behaved, but not to the point of losing their spunk or being shy.  I don't think any agent would be sorry were they to sign them.


1 comment:

  1. I wish you'd been around to photograph my children when they were little!

    ReplyDelete